Monday 15 August 2011

For Colored Girls 2010 review


What I Know: Each of the women  portray one of the characters represented in collection of poems, and was also an On stage act too. Revealing different walks of life that not only Black women go through in life but I guess all women in life as. 

After watching, I couldn't help but feel that much more emotion towards women as a whole and then those being Black. The different intertwining stories that be, to me, had an impact on my out look of coloured women. A rising star, falling pregnant and having an over baring, God worshipping mother and to add a sister who doesn't much like her. The sister who struggles with intimacy, sleeping around like ol' willy-nilly, the battered wife of a ex-military, drunken boy-friend, the social worker you longs for a child, the Building manager who sees everything that goes on (The on looker), the high achieving woman with an awkward struggle with her husband and the woman trying to be the best dance teacher she can be to young ladies in the neighbourhood. 
Why I felt so emotional watching this, well to say the stories of each hit home to me in every way. Knowing that woman, sleeping around with every Tom, Dick, and Rashawn, not knowing where the turntable is going to stop playing her lustful, heart-broken dove song, I know that woman striving to be somebody (and homosapiens we all are a "somebody) and fighting the pain of what a trusted man took advantage of. And all the others.
Although this is a rendered from a play and book of poems I have read that this is the east favorites for some critics, but I think you have to walk in, sit down with an open mind (Like Harry potter films, cause that too is a book duh!!!!!) and see the best in what it is, not summarize it to the best of the best, not every rendition can be the same and I think Mr Tyler Perry did a good job of making such a largely appreciated play/poem collection be transferred to the screen of mine over here in the UK. It is a a film to see but not a must see for everyone. Did you like 'Precious' or even 'The Color Purple'? Well if the answer is yes I have a slight feeling you will like this. 
I give this 7 stars out of 10. 




    


No comments:

Post a Comment